The National Science Education Standards] are a comprehensive set of standards for K-12 science produced by the National Research Council in 1995 and published in 1996. They deal concurrently with six aspects of science education:
- Standards for science teaching.
- Standards for professional development for teachers of science.
- Standards for assessment in science education.
- Standards for science content.
- Standards for science education programs.
- Standards for science education systems.
The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) is part of an ongoing effort to implement the Standards in classrooms throughout the U.S.